Everest-type tower situated at the northern end of the Calcutta Baseline set out by Everest in 1830 on Barrackpore Trunk Road in the northern district of Kolkata. Tower is rendered completely and painted white with memorial inscriptions to the GTS in English and Hindi. Three rectangular-shaped openings arranged vertically on four sides of the tower are visible, and the tower is roofed. The ground-floor entrance is appropriated as a Hindu shrine and the immediate surroundings are shanties associated with a nearby temple. The tower is virtually identical in appearance and construction to the tower located at the southern end of the Calcutta baseline at Rishi. The base of the tower measures 5.14m on the South side, with doorways on the South and North sides of the tower.
Calcutta base-line, North End Tower Station, lat. 22° 43', long. 88° 25'— observed at in 1832, 1845, 1848 and 1869—is situated east of Sukchár village at the junction of the road from Sukchár to Barasat with the Barrackpur road, and opposite to the 11th milestone from the Government House in Calcutta; pargana Calcutta, district Twenty-four Parganas.
The tower is 74.5 feet high. In other respects the station is similar to that at the S. End of the base (from GTS Synopsis Volume XII, page 19).
Tower is maintained by Kolkata Public Works Department (PWD).