Everest-type tower located in small village c.1.5km west of main road between Thakur Pukar and Raipur, south of the Kolkata conurbation, in a wooded area. Reached by narrow paths, the tower has partially collapsed, but enough remains to indicate it had two opposing ground-level doorways with arch-heads, and at upper levels rectangular-shaped openings, arranged vertically, as at Bhola. The entrance doors faced East and West. The height estimate is three storeys. Bricks measured on site were 24cm long, 12cm wide, and 5.5cm in height. The collapse of the tower was reported locally to be c.2012. The site locally is known by the name Haldarpukur. The community around the Samalia site, believe the tower and three others to have been located at four cardinal points, each related to the other, diagonally. This seems to reflect an idea of triangulation, perhaps preserving the local memory of the surveyors as well as the tower within the local community. A further connection between the villagers and the GTS is their ‘mouza’ map, showing the local fields and land-holdings, still used by the villagers in farming the land. Parts of the GTS tower were reported damaged due to an earthquake in 1961, and later in 2011.
Samalia Tower Station, lat. 22° 26', long. 88° 18'—observed at in 1848—is on an artificial mound in the village of that name in the Hanspokria Jhil, about 1.5 miles west of the high road from Calcutta to Diamond Harbour; pargana Nauhazári, district Twenty-four Parganas. The station is inaccessible during the rains, except by boats.
A hollow rectangular tower 63.08 feet high defines the station, another at the bottom (from GTS Synopsis Volume XII, page 19).
Tower is partially collapsed, with the western side lost and now a pile of bricks, but the eastern face is standing to around three storeys in height, though with a much eroded base and likely to collapse completely. Nearby houses could be affected if the tower falls outwards.