Everest-type tower situated at the southern end of the Calcutta Baseline set out by Everest in 1830 on Barrackpore Trunk Road in the northern district of Kolkata. Tower is rendered completely and painted white with memorial inscriptions to the GTS in English and Hindi. Three rectangular-shaped openings arranged vertically on four sides of the tower are visible, and the tower is roofed. The tower is virtually identical in appearance and construction to the tower located at the northern end of the Calcutta baseline at Sukchar. Doorways are on the South and North sides of the tower.
Calcutta base-line, South End Tower Station, lat. 22° 37', long. 88° 25'— observed at in 1832, 1844-45 and 1848—is situated at the junction of the Barrackpur and Chitpur roads and directly opposite to a garden house owned by Rájah Bábu; pargana Calcutta, district Twenty-four Parganas.
The station is marked by a square hollow tower 73.6 feet in height and some 13 feet square at top; the isolated pillar for the theodolite being built on beams which are let into the wall about 4 feet below the upper surface of the tower. The usual circle and dot are engraved on a block of stone fixed in the ground floor of the building (from GTS Synopsis Volume XII, page 19).
Tower is maintained by Kolkata Public Works Department (PWD).