Located in Howrah in a craft neighbourhood within the Kolkata conurbation on the west side of the Hooghly River at Kamrangu in the ‘Y’ of a busy road-junction. The tower is a semaphore-type, cylindrical, with a ground floor arch-headed doorway. Upper courses reveal oval-shaped openings arranged vertically, as well as larger round-headed arched openings. Four distinctive horizontal string courses are evident, as are presumed scaffolding sockets, and vertical ‘strengthening’ bricks at regular intervals. Brick measurement of 21cm length, 11cm width and 5cm height. The construction is similar to Noada semaphore station in Kolkata. Col. Phillimore noted ‘Most of the 13 tower stations were built after Everest’s return in October 1830. Four of these were adapted from the telegraph towers, one at Nibria, 5 miles west of Howrah being still in good condition in 1960. 88 foot high. All fieldwork was complete before the rains of 1832’ (R. H. Phillimore, Historical Records of the Survey of India (Vol III), page 264).
Nibria or Mahiari Tower Station, lat. 22° 36', long. 88° 17'—observed at in 1832,1845, 1848 and 1869—is an old telegraph tower on the line from Calcutta to Benares, situated in the village of Mahiari; pargana Arsa, district Hugli.
The tower is circular, hollow and 88.33 feet high. In 1869 a mark was found in the ground floor over which a rectangular pillar was built for protection. The azimuths and distances of the circumjacent villages are as follows:—Prusth 208° 58', miles 0.49, Unsunni 261° 38', miles 0.92, Nethankur 159° 34', miles 117, Andul palace 31° 38', miles 0.88 (from GTS Synopsis Volume XII, page 19).
structure intact, no roof, good external condition except for lower courses of brickwork which are much eroded, and also the top of the tower which has vegetation causing damage. Small structures (workshops and booths) have been appended.