Surveying Empires
  Home |  About |  Fieldwork |  GTS Tower Stations |  Project Team | 

GTS Station - Mirzápur

Mirzapur Map

Location 22.33737N/88.06418E
Visited 16th March 2017
Series East Coast Series
Sol 125K Sheet 79B SW
Description Located on the western side of the Hooghly River, on an isthmus bounded on the west by the former course of the Damodar River, now rerouted to join the Hooghly further north. Tower located in rural wooded location, remote from metalled roads, and only located thanks to being guided to site by local people. The tower site is cleared and its location is marked by a deep water-filled hole, excavated, apparently, in search for gold believed to be buried beneath tower. Bricks visible in rubble on site, reused for agricultural building constructed nearby.
   
Historical account Mirzápur Tower Station, lat. 22° 20', long. 88° 6'—observed at in 1848 and 1860— is situated about a quarter of a mile east of the village of that name. It is in the lands of the village of Mirzápur, thana Shámpúr and pergunnah Mandalghát, district Hooghly. The tower is hollow and 35.21 feet high, and has a mark-stone imbedded in the ground floor. Brúl semaphore is 8.8 miles N.E., and Dhájá semaphore 2.9 miles S.E. by S (from GTS Synopsis Volume XIII, page 6).
   
Condition Station destroyed, no standing remains


  Mirzapur Townsfolk  
 
GTS Tower
Stations
Aknapur
Baniban
Berghom
Bhola
Bira
Brul
Dhaja
Dilakas
Mayapur
Mirzápur
Natsal
Nibria
Noada
Noráda
Pokpari
Rishi
Samalia
Sarisá
Satten
Simahát
Sukchar