Everest-type station tower on mound in rural location. Tower is of broader dimension than is more common for Everest-type towers, and has arch-headed windows and openings on all 4 façades, rather than round-head or flat-head, suggesting slightly later construction date. Ground-floor doorways on West and East elevations. The tower was rebuilt in 1869 following collapse of first on site (GTS Synopsis Volume XII, page 18).
From the ethnographic survey at Andul, Mourir Bazar, one of the interviewees informed that the GTS tower was built sometime in the period 1814-19 for purpose of communication before the advent of the telegraph. He described how other similar GTS towers are diagonally located in different places in southern Bengal at Uluberia, Seoraphuli, etc. A second narrative also emerged, from an interview with another individual, who highlighted the significance of the tower as a place in the medieval past which formed an important centre in the trade route that passed through this region. He cited the legend of the travels of Chand Saudagar, a wealthy merchant, who had traversed this route, as preserved in the Mangalkavyas, seventeenth-century medieval texts of Bengal.
LXXVI. Aknápur Tower Station, lat. 22° 54', long. 88° 6'—observed at in 1832 and 1869— is on a small artificial mound, elevated a few feet above the level of the surrounding country; pargana Bálgaria, district Hugli.
A hollow rectangular tower 45.33 feet high surmounts the marks which are, one in the ground floor and another 1.5 feet below it. The station of 1832 was in ruins in 1869 and on removing the debris a hole 7 inches square and 2 feet deep was found in which the new markstones were inserted. The azimuths and distances of the circumjacent villages are as follows:—Aknápur (temple spire) 19° 49', miles 0.12, Parámba 154° 16', miles 1.07, Bhárámálpur 267° 5', miles 1.18 (from GTS Synopsis Volume 12, page 18).
Structure intact with some erosion of brickwork at footings and opening crack in West elevation. No internal remains and no roof.